Wednesday, April 4, 2012

A Spirit of Fear


2 Timothy 1:7 “For God did not give us a spirit of fear, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline.”

As soon as I published my blog for the very first time, I had one of the most restless nights of sleep that I have had in a long time.  The reason for this is because I know that I have just declared a spiritual battle.  I am a firm believer in spiritual warfare.  My mother has always taught me that the Devil wants to try to bring firm believers down, especially those that are public about their faith.  God doesn’t promise us an easy life, however, the Bible states that we will get criticism and have trials throughout our walk here on earth.  Last night I began to worry too much about that.

Don’t get me wrong; if you knew me before this blog you would know that I have always been public about my faith.  To some of my friends, almost annoyingly public but they realize that that is just part of me.  Where the fear comes in is that I am now vulnerable to people who don’t know me.  Some of you may come across this and read a couple of sentences and think you know all of me, my struggles, my fear and my discipline or lack there of depending on the day.  That is not the case but regardless, welcome to my life.   

The good news is that as it states in 2 Timothy 1:7, God has not called us to be afraid.  While I may have had a restless night, He was sure to address my concerns first thing this morning.  Earlier I had to drive a co-worker to the airport and I managed to find a Christian radio station.  Right after I dropped them off the song that was playing was Stronger by Mandisa. 

A line in the song is, “If God has started this work in your life, he’ll be faithful to complete it.  If only you believe it.”  It reminded me that God doesn’t want me to be afraid of the skeptics.  He wants me to support the believers.  I am doing this for him.

James 1: 2-4 "Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance.  Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. "

From this point on I am not making any promises of a blameless walk of faith.  I do promise to be real and honest with you.

I realize that there will be some of you who don’t like what I write for an assortment of reasons.  That is ok.  I am not here to make you like me.  I am here because God wants me to be.  I am obeying a call from my Holy Father and I will continue to do this until he instructs me otherwise. 

If this is the one and only time you stop by My Twelve Stones I want you to know that even if I don’t know your name or your story, you are in my prayers.  Remember, there is a Father that loves you and adores you.  His name is Jesus Christ.  

If you decide to stick around - thanks!  I can't wait to see what God has in store for us!


No comments:

Post a Comment