Sunday, April 8, 2012

Will they see God?

Tonight in my family we didn't just celebrate Easter we also celebrated the life of one of the most inspiring women of God I have ever met. I am proud to call her my aunt.

We have a tradition in our family.  When it is a persons birthday, everyone there celebrating has to tell you in front of the whole group three reasons they love you.  It's wonderful.  I feel inspired every time we do it. It is an annual reminder of the impact the birthday person has on those surrounding them.

A couple of times with friends we have discussed the hypothetical question: what do you want people to say at your funeral? Tonight, I've decided to take a different look at this.  Instead of making this a discussion about what people would say about you let's think about what people would think about the life you would leave behind.  If you died and a stranger came and only observed the people and activities of your life, what would they see?  Would they see God?

I'd like to think that someone could do that with my life but I don't know what they will see.  One thing I am sure of is that I want to be a person that tries my hardest to love like Christ loves. I want to forgive as he did and in the end, I actually hope that it won't be my life they see but rather Christ working through me to show His love to others.

God says to me: I want you to know that this life is not your own but mine.  (Isaiah 43:1) I knew you and have had plans for you (Jeremiah 29:11) since before you existed.  You are mine to use and know that it will never be in vain. Let your light shine upon men (Matthew 5:16) on earth and it will be worth it.  You are my child, carry my legacy through the ages.

No comments:

Post a Comment