Friday, January 18, 2013

DFD11 (1/18/13)

Where I am at:
Spiritually: I am beginning to feel worn out.  Last year I did the Daniel Fast for one week and this year I am doing it for the entire 21 days.  I'm at the point where I feel exhausted by eating the same foods over and over again and I'm looking forward to getting back to a normal food routine.  I am reminded about the spiritual fasts that Moses and Jesus went through and I can hardly fathom that.  Part of me wonders if it would have been easier to fast when convenience wasn't as big of a part of eating?  For example, I see commercials for big macs and milk shakes and Applebees and all of it claims to be inexpensive and pleasant to the palate.  It seems silly but it is during those times that I pray through my cravings and pray through my wants and try to focus more on God.

Physically:
I am feeling the same as I have been.  Healthy and energetic.  I've found that since being off of caffeine I have a lot more energy than I remember having when I drank coffee.

Emotionally: 
I've been thinking about a lot of things from my past and a thought occurred to me last night before I went to sleep.  While relationships have changed over time whether they have evolved, remained the same, or diminished, I can look back at my life and know that what I did and the choices I made were to honor God and his call on my life.  I can't look back at any one decision that I've made without knowing in my heart that it is what God wanted me to do.  That isn't to say that everything was always smooth sailing and happened on good terms, there were definitely times when my human self struggled with pride and bitterness but it was in those times that I drew closest to God.  I'm grateful for the changes in my life and I'm so grateful for where God has brought me today.

Bible verses:
1 Corinthians 10:13
The temptations in your life are no different from what others experience.  And God is faithful.  He will not allow the temptation to be more than you can stand.  When you are tempted, he will show you a way out so that you can endure.
 - UM hello!  Talk about addressing my questions about the ease of fasting to others?  God just reminded me that my struggle is the same as the struggle others from the Bible went through.  He also reminded me that He will be my strength and escape from those things! Amen to God's word!

Exodus 14:13-14
Moses answered the people, 'Do not be afraid. Stand firm and you will see the deliverance the Lord will bring you today ... the Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still.

Goal:
I want to take time to reflect on the reasons I have for doing this fast.  I want to examine my true motivations and I want to honor God.  I feel like I am going through this complaining and I want my heart to be in the right place.

Prayer:
Father, I come to you today to apologize for the grumbling.  Lord, I know you called me and Jake to do this fast together for a purpose and because you want to speak into our lives.  Help us to quit complaining and remember why we chose to do this fast in the first place.  Please continue to draw us nearer to you and thank you for pursuing us in spite of our grumblings.  Your love and grace is amazing.  I don't know what I would do without you in my life Lord.  Please be near today so that I may feel your presence and remember your grace.  Lord, I want to submit to you and your will for my life.  It is in your name and your plan I trust.  Finally Lord, I ask you to help Jake examine his heart and his motivations today as well.  May we become a more unified spiritual front as husband and wife.  Lord, may you always be at the center of our hearts and our marriage.  In your name I pray, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment